mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
you wanna tour? wanna stay healthy? buy some goldang insurance.
three months of travel insurance with covid cover will cost about a hundred bucks.
a day or two at a minimal wage job will pay for it.
If you tour for long enough, it is potentially *less expensive* for insurance than staying in the US (assuming you are allowed to travel).

For 2017 I realized I was going to meet criteria to not need a mandate to buy health insurance in the US, in particular I was not in the US for more than the limit of 35 days that year - and hence exempt. That mandate has since been repealed though my exposure to to expensive care still applied. Now as it turned out, I kept paying a policy that year (that didn't cover being outside the US) as well as a travel insurance (that did cover being outside the US). Part of the reason I continued to pay for US-based insurance was that if I got sick enough to require extended (less expensive) hospitalization overseas I would be at risk of two potential things happening (a) I might run out of time on my visa in a particular country and (b) my travel insurance had alternatives of either paying for my care or paying to return me to the US.