View Single Post
Old 04-30-21, 04:18 PM
GrayJay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
The video below was posted on the C & V section about the Taylor brothers bike business. At 25 minutes in, I believe that it may be Jack Taylor that is box lining a tandem frame. He does it so effortlessly. Of course, he has lots of practice.
It looks like a Beugler, with a wheel, however, it may be an English made one. There was also a video of Raleigh DL-1 getting box lined and the woman lining the frame used a similar device. So, this English wheeled pinstriper may pre-date the Beugler.

Wheels are good for pinstiping and boxlining. If you are talking about lug lining, then a wheel would not be the right tool.

I used a drafting ink tip with Testors paint. It worked, however the lines were not as thin as I would have liked. When I tested it on paper the paint made nice thin lines. When I moved to the bike frame the paint, the gold paint flowed out a bit more and became fatter than I would have liked. I was unsure if I needed to thin it more because it was already flowing too much. So, I am still looking for a better solution or need to improve my technique for lug lining.
In one of the old Jack Taylor documentary films, they explain that the secret for hand-brush pin striping is to first go over to the neighboring pub and get a shot of strong whiskey to steady the hands before the brush-paint work!
Likes For GrayJay: