3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by corpblues
I cleaned it up a bit and aired up the tires. I was able to ride it around the block. So FUN!

It does needs to properly restored but it is functional. The 3-speed gear box is sticky but did change gears. It's back in the garage as I don't want to ride it more without more cleaning and lubricating the moving mechanisms.

I can't upload pictures to the thread yet but I'll save a few and perhaps someone can post them to be visable as before.
Originally Posted by corpblues
What type of oil should I put in the AW 3-speed hub? It has a filler tube with a flip top.

...the recommended oil for these is any good quality 20 weight oil, unless you are riding in a very cold winter area, when you might have to experiment with 10 weight viscosity. If it is a little bit sticky, the usual cure to try first is to remove the rear wheel from the bike, and flush the hub with kerosene or mineral spirits, then put in about a teaspoon of 20 weight oil. They are not well seald, so if you put in too much oil it just drips out, usually down the spokes. Which kind of makes a mess of things, but doesn't hurt anything, mechanically.

The reason there is always so much crud on the rear hub's exterior is this leaking oil, mixing with road ddirt and grime.
Likes For 3alarmer: