Old 03-30-19, 07:19 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I guess this belongs here. I went to a different hammer ride last night. Three of us (4/5's, 4/5's without a team) somehow made the "selection".

I've heard it over and over to ride with faster people to get better, that was the plan. I didn't feel it helpful to play backdoor for 1/2 the ride on the flats because us 4/5 lost a guy on the first hill "selection" and the much stronger two teams on the ride were controlling stuff with just the two of us left. Outnumbered, out gunned.

Didn't really feel I belonged. I could get up front with them and into it if the road went uphill for a bit. Not flats though.

Both of us were 4/5 guys who made a "big boy" selection. I didn't realize the A ride had a thing like that where those folks usually select ahead and the rest of A is just behind.

I got bored enough I half considered blowing up on purpose in the last 3 miles just to do something.

Suck it up and play backdoor OR eff it and drift back and hurt the 3/4/5 folks instead? I don't want to feel like I'm in the way of "their fun" by just being able to hang around. I'd probably do better or have more fun if there was a hill or two more as I'm skinny enough that'd be my chance to lead or do something. Just to be followed/reeled in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on the Cat 5 dragging on the coat-tails of the fast folks? I did NOT contest the sprint. I followed, but not having helped much if any just stayed put.
I don't really get some of your made-up terms. "Backdoor"? "Select ahead"?

Training is not racing. Training rides are not races. If you just wanted to sit on the back of a group, you'd be better off doing a solo workout. Attack, get brought back, get stuck in, attack again. Do stuff you wouldn't want to do in a race because it probably wouldn't work. Because a training ride is not a race. It's a workout. Go do workout stuff. Sprint. Jump early, attack late, whatever. Get in an actual workout. The idea of being outnumbered or a team controlling things is a weird thing to read about, honestly. Again, training ride. Attack or drill it or something that will actually force you to do something new.

The only one that cares about you being a cat 5 is you. You got to move past that. Shouldn't have anything to do with anything if you're riding safely and predictably.