View Single Post
Old 05-25-20, 11:28 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I've got a couple of bikes that I have been waiting until spring to sell. Now with Covid, my wife won't let me sell them because I might come in contact with someone. And I can't look for anything either, although why would I. The prices or too high.

Now is the time to sell.
I built up a much-too-large Motobecane frame that had been hanging for years. I did this specifically to take advantage of this market. Sold it easily in a couple of days for asking. Fixed up and listed a Peugeot mixte also, but my son and his gf - who are sheltered with me during these strange times - wouldn't let me, once they saw it and rode it. I had debated selling it for many years but that bike brings big smiles all around with its French heritage, great looks and ergonomics (Nitto Promenade bars). I've got my sights on selling my main grocery hauler next, another Peugeot, mid-80's. I've got 10 bikes but each one is special and brings something different to the road. Very hard for me to thin the herd even in this great seller's market.

Oh, one other thing, sold two sets of fixie wheels this week for full asking, and I asked a lot to allow for the inevitable bargaining. They just showed up and paid full price, one buyer saying there was nothing for fixies on craigslist right now.

For me, one of the pleasures of the shelter-in-place, and having my son and his gf home, is that between the three of us, we are regularly riding most of my vintage bikes.