View Single Post
Old 09-22-21, 08:27 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,481 Times in 1,838 Posts
Acera and Alivio are not great groups .... but they are serviceable. They will do the job. In my experience the lower-end Shimano stuff flexes more, and seems to stay adjusted less, than the good stuff. But ... it all works.

I have an Acera RD on my Cannondale tourer, and a Claris triple FD ..... and I have zero complaints. (Claris is comparable to Acero, just road vs MTB-oriented.) Set them up right, ride them, and if they need a tweak now and then, an 1/8 turn on the barrel adjuster usually does it.

The important thing with derailleurs is having a clue how to set them up. I don't, so I visited Park Tools' website and both printed the text and copied the video links for their instructions. That, plus a couple other YouTube videos, made setting up, adjusting, and indexing seem as simple as it actually is.

I sometimes have a hard time following seemingly complex instructions because I try to remember everything. Some stuff just seems daunting. I just learn step-buy-step, make sure I understand each step, and then after I am sure I know Step One, I move on. Eventually the stuff I thought was super-complicated and difficult, is commonplace and simple.

My advice would be, Don't just go in there turning screws and barrel adjusters randomly, to see what happens. Cable tension and limit screws affect each other---if the cable isn't pulling the derailleur all the way to the limit, then you can turn the screw until it falls out .... and if the derailleur hits the inner (L) screw turning the barrel adjuster won't do a thing---but then, when you finally get the limit screw properly adjusted, the cable will be an issue because you adjusted it for a different range of motion.

And with the rear derailleur, if you have removed the "dork disc" on your rear hub, and if you set the rear Low limit screw too far out, your derailleur will dive into your spokes, often ripping the derailleur off the frame, bending the derailleur hanger, and maybe breaking a couple spokes. Guaranteed highlight of your day.

Go slowly through the instructions. They are Not complicated, taken in small pieces. Think about how complex the instructions for tying and double-knotting shoelaces would be, printed out ..... adjusting your derailleurs and cables is a lot simpler than that.