View Single Post
Old 11-20-21, 05:01 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 280 Posts
I'm not fond of bells because they seem to me to be akin to honking your horn behind the car in front of you while driving, or walking up behind a fellow pedestrian and yelling "MOVE!" I would also think a voice would be less jarring than a sudden loud bell behind you. (Bell on friend's tandem is just for when voice doesn't work. Sometimes she will still ring when she hears me say "On your left!" but I did have to let her know that she didn't have to lay on the bell hard unless I told her she needed to, lol. I don't want to run over pedestrians because they're jumping out of their skins at overzealous ringing... she was having a lot of fun with that bell but it was freaking people out!)

Originally Posted by Miele Man
What I find very interesting on the rail-trails here in Waterloo Region (Ontario, Canada) is that ringing a bicycle bell causes most people on the rail-trail to stop and look UP! No kidding. I told a bicycling buddy about that and he put a bell on his bike and tried it and got the same result. Do people walking on rail-trails here think that the ringing bicycle bell is from ET and his friends in the sky?

Not only that, with many walkers no wearing earbuds on a high volume setting, they don't even hear a bell. I would use a boat air-horn if not for the fact I don't want to ruin the experience of those out to see critters and/or birds.

Cheers
That surprises me... so many phones have a "bell" notification sound, and it seems to be so popular, that I would think people would all look at their phones. (I've said this before but) when I bought my friend a bell for her tandem, I specifically bought one that sounded like a bike bell. The little "ting" bells sounded very nice, but I didn't want us trying to alert someone that we were coming and instead of moving and/or looking around, they stop and pull their phone out...