View Single Post
Old 11-22-21, 08:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
The secret to a safe and courteous interaction is to slow to a minimal speed disparity as you approach. That's what I do. If I see ear buds, I very slowly ease around them. If I don't see buds, I say in a conversational tone "I am easing around YOUR left." Then I ease around and say something polite when I do. Kids always get complimented on their bike and dogs are often told they are good doggies.

Obviously, we all basically operate from a position of n=1, so I'm not claiming you're wrong and I'm right, only that we have different approaches and let's take it as a statement of good faith that our perceptions that our methods are working are valid.

I don't rely on slowing as much as you do, what I find is the startle and annoyance is greatest when I make the announcement too close to the actual pass. I therefore announce a bit further back than other people I observe and don't slow that much unless there's a) other people on the path, b) dogs or c) children (those add too much unpredictability not to slow). Generally, I announce pretty far back in as friendly a voice as I can muster, then thank the person as I actually pass. I get a lot of thank yous back, and I don't recall any such encounter turning sour. On the other hand, I find that if I don't announce until I'm close, it doesn't matter how slow I'm going, I'm very likely to get that startled response. I've had that happen at less than 5 mph.
Likes For livedarklions: