Old 09-23-22, 10:13 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Has anyone ever done this with good results? I've removed anodizing from rims before, but only from the entire rim. I never liked the finished result so vowed to not do it, again. However, can you just remove it from the brake track? Is there a good way to do it? Hoping for better braking.
FYI, I'm using early 90's Shimano low profile canti's with Salmon pads. And, yes, they are adjusted properly geometrically at the brake and tuned for lever pull...if that makes sense
Thanks
If you can stand the current braking performance for a while, just using your brakes will remove it pretty quickly. If you want to speed up the process, cover your brake pads with some fine emery cloth and do a number of light touch stops. The hard anodizing will be gone pretty quickly. Back in the day when these rim "coatings" were popular, you used to see brake tracks with pulsed colors: the slight distortion of the rim by spoke tension would bulge the rim just a bit and as the anodizing wore off, you would have shiny aluminum alternating with the color of the rim.