View Single Post
Old 12-15-21, 09:48 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_sr
What I have heard from my LBS (who orders directly from Shimano) is that is that ordered parts eventually show up. I can't imagine that Shimano (or other suppliers) would be playing favorites with the larger OEMs at the cost to smaller LBS. Starving the LBS would likely put them and their brand support out of business... which wouldn't be a good long term strategy.
I don't think this is what is actually how the priority of suppling works. The aftermarket is not what Shimano depends on. It is the OEM brands that buy the bulk of Shimano's production and what helps Shimano to better forecast their future manufacturing. I do agree that Shimano does think about the aftermarket suppliers needing product, just not so much that their bigger customers get shorted. A cynical person might also postulate that it is better for the big customers (and thus Shimano) to sell more bikes and a draught of repair parts (or their higher costs) will motivate some consumers to not wait for the upgrade parts and instead just get all the improvements a complete new bike has. Andy (who sometimes can be cynical)