Old 12-11-16, 07:38 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
cantis as the frame i have takes them and the brake levers i want to use don't pull the ratio for vbrakes . Whats wrong with cantis? dont cyclocross use them ?
Cantis are fine. However, you can set up a bike with V-brakes with STI shifters using a"Travel Agent". I did that on my wife's bike, because that is what she wanted. V-brakes do provide more stopping power, but my cantis are more than adequate. Travel Agents are really trouble free. I adjusted her's for the first time in 17,000 miles when I changed the brake cables. That is a long time to be running the same cable.

I have used Cane Creek SCX-5 Cantilever brakes on a couple of bikes. They were OEM on CX bike and I put them on a touring bike that I was building. Combined with Kool Stop salmon colored pads they work well. They are a good compromise between cost and quality. I switched over to Paul brakes on the CX bike which are quite a bit more expensive ( I got a heck of a deal on them). I really could not see any significant difference in braking dynamics or stopping power between the brakes. They both have Kool Stop Pads.

Last edited by Doug64; 12-12-16 at 02:04 PM.