Old 09-14-21, 01:38 AM
tombell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi all.
I really appreciate all of your feedback. There are various different opinions on the matter, which I highly appreciate.
Having gone through all of them and also googling around and reading other sources, based on my particular needs and personal likes/dislikes, I lean towards finding a cheap rear wheel with a 11spd freehub, where I will fit a trainer specific tyre (already ordered last week).
(Many thanks to a kind member from this thread that PMd me to give me one of his spare rear wheels with a trainer tyre for free!!!!, but since I am in another continent shipping expenses were too much)

Personally, I do not like putting extra miles to my "outdoor" tyre/wheel. I would like to feel confident with it when riding outdoors and minimize punctures. Also, I currently do not have a spare/old tyre to use.
In general, the consensus (here and from what I read elsewhere), is that indoor trainers wear out normal tyres much quicker.

I also considered the solution of getting a 11-34 11 speed casette (as suggested here) to use with my 10 spd hub.
However, I am leaning away from it for 2 reasons
1. I don't know if I will need to fiddle with the rear derailer every time I switch wheels (which is a big NO for me in case it is true)
2. I use a 11-28 casette on the road and the difference in cogs between the 2 is apparent. I would rather use the same casette both for indoors/outdoors

Many thanks again
Likes For tombell: