Old 02-28-23, 10:13 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Morimorimori
Randonneuring seems to attract a lot of people of older age, so I thought I can get a lot of insights on the subject Long distance rider myself who has been just diagnosed with hypertension (still of unknown origin, and I think I could have it years prior to that already), I now feel quite a bit soul crushed, as cycling has become an important part of my life. Of course it's a question one better asks his medical provider, but many doctors will take a very cautions approach and will just strictly forbid you to over-exertyourself. So I though some experience shared by those who still does long distance riding regardless of their diagnosis may be useful, as well as some hints, recommendations on mediation selection and consumption, monitoring your health during the long ride etc. Also especially interested in experiences of those who kept doing high intensity training and strength training despite being diagnosed - how well it works for you, does it make controlling your blood pressure more difficult, do you need to take stronger medication post-excercies etc.
I have (so far) fairly mild hypertension, am on a small medication dose. (The one I take can drop potassium levels and is a diuretic, so my doc recommended being good about electrolytes while riding and has regularly checked my levels, but I haven't had that issue with it.) I was doing long distance before it and my doc didn't recommend any changes to my training or riding. I never had any symptoms and still haven't.