Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Ooops, I grabbed the wrong Strava link. Also...........after I wrote the below I figured out why I probably couldn't do it yesterday. I don't have TP premium but can still see the TSS. On Sunday I did 2 hours at a pretty solid intensity over some local hills going after a PR or a KOM. Probably should pay attention to the "rest days" that fall the day before a certain workout. They probably did that on purpose. Doh!

Yes, you're right. That kind of work isn't going to go down well while trying to do it on the surface of the sun. I never should have even attempted that workout.

The link I wanted to grab showed some earlier stuff. I was fine in the plan until the under overs got over 10 minutes long and included more than 4min of "over" per set.

Here it is with the a/c working and the fan:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1862898080/overview

The feeling of discomfort was fine. My energy was gone at the close of the 2nd set. I couldn't finish.
I've heard varying things about this kind of work. I've heard both "fuel up" and also heard "you should be able to do that out of bed".
The physical feeling is of depletion, not really muscular/lactic pain or not handling the HR or breathing.
My experience is that as athletes, we are all different and that is a strength. Maybe you need more glucose than others. If I am going to do something harder, which is generally all the time, I take a gel with caffeine prior to the start of the workout. Then I spend time warming up all the systems, ATP-CP, glycolytic and aerobic. Even if, one is doing a threshold, the three systems work together but aerobic is dominant in threshold work. Likewise, doing a standing start uses the ATP CP but there is a glycolytic and aerobic contribution but not much.

I have done hard morning track workouts without breakfast and it was okay. But l would not draw any conclusions about whether others should or could do that as well.

My suggestion is to try a load of glucose before you start a hard workout and see if it makes a difference.