Thread: Every Day Pics
View Single Post
Old 04-05-21, 06:47 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Well, it's neither classic nor vintage, but the larger of my two 2014 Trek 7.6 FXs is at least seven years old. This one is a 17.5" frame:

More in keeping with the Classic and Vintage subforum, though, is my now-disassembled early-1990s gas-pipe Raleigh Flyer that I had put back on the road in the merry times of pre-COVID 2019:

As it turns out, the rear dropouts are in need of repair and/or realignment. Years of running QR axles on dropouts that were originally designed for axle nuts have caused some damage. The misalignment of the rear wheel had been pointed out to me by another rider who was trailing me on the night prior to the very first COVID lcokdown back in March 2020. A mechanic at the Trek dealership confirmed the issue and said he could realign the dropouts for me, but then COVID hit; I disassembled the bike in the hope of finding a better vintage frame to hang my parts onto - which has yet to happen - and then largely just forgot about it. I tried to realign the dropouts myself using a pair of highly sophisticated, precision tools - a big-ass hammer and an even bigger-ass hammer - and I managed to get them a good bit closer to where they need to be, but not without doing some additional damage (that hopefully won't affect how the axle attaches to the inside of the dropout):

You said you wanted something to look at, though, so here's my 504 (which has little to do with classic/vintage bikes, other than the fact that it's both a vintage Peugeot and a station wagon at that), seen here getting a somewhat laborious five-speed conversion, along with myriad other repairs:

I've done some work on it myself, but things as involved as that five-speed conversion and new struts just aren't the kind of repairs that I can do alone, with just one pair of hands, in my own parking spot at home. I did change the brake disks and pads myself, though; I installed new seat belts, resolved some issues around the engine bay and did a bunch of work around the interior. The mechanic brought it around last night, thinking that he was done, but when we test drove it, I found out that he hadn't repaired the heater as he should have, so I handed the keys back to him and told him it's not cool. The radio wasn't getting any power, either (it had been working before I brought it into his shop.)

Last edited by sjanzeir; 11-04-21 at 09:34 AM.
Likes For sjanzeir: