Old 10-23-19, 11:12 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Looking at Audax Randonneurs Malaysia's 2020 outline, looks like they're experimenting with a bunch of new things this new season including a fleche, an official LRM1200, and a Super Randonnee. While the LRM1200 and Super Randonnee are an interesting new thing for me to try out, I'm not yet 100% into the fleche as I currently can't think of a team to ride it with; after all, you need people who are approximately on par with, or not too far off from, the same level of fitness and speed as you are... so that will take a bit of effort to work out.

Besides the "specials", I'm seeing some preliminary conflicts in scheduling on some events that I may not end up going for Super Randonneur this time around. I've got a wedding dinner to attend which clashes with one of the BRM300 rides, and the next BRM300 is being held in conjunction with a BRM1000 (which I am more inclined to join).

But anyways there's nothing "special" going on this year (like PBP or LEL) which requires SR, so that's not going to be an important goal for me.

On the other hand, my main goal this season is to improve my solo performance, primarily by optimizing/reducing my off-saddle time but also trying to slightly improve my overall speed as well. I'm still relatively poor with rolling terrain, so I'd want to work on my pacing on such roads. I'm doing this by upping my training regime from 4 rides per week (2 weekday indoor trainer rides + 2 weekend outdoor rides) to 6 rides per week (4 weekday indoor trainer rides + 2 weekend outdoor rides) with an emphasis on sustained efforts on climbs. The end goal is to hopefully get a good boost in FTP (aiming for somewhere between 3.5-4.0 w/kg) and be able to do a sub-30 hour 600K by the end of the season, and then moving on to being able to do a 24hr 600K as a two-year plan.

One recent addition to my bike has been a power meter, and it has been a big help with pacing during my last two BRMs (a 600k in September and 200k last weekend). The power meter revealed that I tended to push harder than I should on climbs, which in the long run affects my ability to push the pedals after fatigue sets in. It's a big reminder to dial down, keep my efforts in check, don't burn matches too soon and unnecessarily; but also when to NOT try to hang with a group and just let them go, and go my own pace. I think in the long run keeping these efforts in check is also going to help with nutrition, or rather minimize/avoid digestion problems related to ultra-endurance cycling in general.

Last edited by atwl77; 10-23-19 at 11:27 PM.