Old 01-16-20, 08:08 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 874:

Last night on the way home the temp had gotten down to 1F and was falling. The wind was really blowing at 20+ mph, but thankfully I had a tail wind.

This morning I woke up to an air temp of -12F. Thankfully the wind had died down overnight so there wasn't any wind chill on top of that. I decided to do a split commute this morning, so I rode about a mile to the bus stop, took the bus downtown, then rode another 1/2 mile to the client's office.

The down side to taking the bus is in order to get to the stop, about 1/4 mile from home I have to climb a monster hill. Not having time to get warmed up combined with the frigid temps really makes me suck oxygen hard even gearing way down and going slow. Traffic is also pretty heavy on this route, although the drivers were pretty decent to me this morning. Must have taken pity on me in these temps.

This evening when I head home it's supposed to get up to 7F, so I'll probably just ride the whole way rather than taking the bus. The wind is supposed to pick up and I'll have to fight it the whole way home, so it may not feel any warmer than it did this morning.