View Single Post
Old 05-08-22, 02:38 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 937 Posts
The Golden Boy's 1985 Trek Re-Rebuild!!!

Ladies and gentlemen; I think this is the second major rebuild of this bike since I got it around 10 years ago. This is the bike I've put the most miles on, the bike my wife jokingly refers to as "Best Friend Bike." I rode it pretty much as stock as I got it for several years and then t some point I redid the drivetrain to 6 speed Accushift with Command Shifters, and swapped stems and bars and everything. Around 5 years ago I rebuilt my 1985 Trek 720 with new brakes, wheels and a 10 speed hybrid Dura Ace/Ultegra/Suntour drivetrain and I LOVE it- so I decided to do the same thing to the 620. I'd been acquiring parts for a long time- this time my big secret plans were to go with aluminum Honjo fenders and a SON generator hub. Because I've ruined 2 sets of Velo Orange fenders and because I don't trust myself with the generator hub running wires, and because of time/energy constraints with work and family- I opted to have a bike shop do the work for me. I chose Revolution Cycles in Madison WI because I'd heard good stories about them (both as a company and about Jeff, the owner) and because they did a wheel build for me that I was really pleased with.

Short story long, right after we started this, COVID hit- then there were the global supply problems because of COVID, and then there were manpower problems, compatibility problems, me making decision problems and then money problems... It had been literally been YEARS since I'd seen my bike. (and I wasn't pushing this at all- 85% of the delays are on my end- Jeff and Revolution put up with me, rather than the other way around). Anyway, yesterday I finally go around to driving to Madison to pick up my bike. I think it turned out pretty effing stunning.

Here was a big chunk of the initial stash of stuff- some of it got used on my 720, and some hasn't been used yet:

620 Build Group by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Picking it up on a bright sunny Saturday
IMG_1716 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I forgot to get closeups of this- but one of the other really neat little things that was done was the tail light from https://www.velolumino.com run by forum member southpawboston . I'll be adding pix of this shortly. Thanks Anton!

IMG_1717 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

EDIT: The Velo Lumino tail light!

IMG_1749 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Front of the cockpit shot- gosh, where to start. Old Specialized branded dirt drop stem, Nitto B177 bars, cranberry leather Brooks bar tape, TRP RRL brake levers, Suntour Command shifters from Suntour Command indexed for Shimano 10 speed: Suntour Command indexed for Shimano 10 speed.. Sinewave charging port, Nitto rack, SR SP-11 pedals with King Cage toe cages and KKT straps, Avid Tri-Dangle cable yoke, Shimano XT M732 cantilever brakes and Schmidt Edelux light.
IMG_1721 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Rear view showing the Velolumino tail light and the clean install of everything...
IMG_1723 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Another view of the cockpit
IMG_1737 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Front drivetrain pic- Dura Ace 7700 FD, Sun XCD crank with TA 46 and 30 rings. This is my first experience with the wide range double... we'll see how it goes.
IMG_1719 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

A close up of the drivetrain.
IMG_1730 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

The Dura Ace 7803 rear derailleur. ******g dominate.
IMG_1729 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 05-21-22 at 12:38 PM.