Old 09-19-22, 01:26 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I am starting to look into a sideline after retirement and considering a small investment bike repair service.
Understandably, tools are the biggest investment and proprietary tools are part of the game.
But then one has to consider the bigger investment of replacement parts. The number of disc brake pads alone are immeasurable. If one wants to carry only half of the existing brake pads, it's still an investment of $ thousands. Not to mention discs.
Dozens of bearings, spokes, cables, tire sizes, chains, cassettes are also out there.
Ordering parts is not really convenient if a customer has to wait a week for a tire replacement.

Is there anyone in the business who can comment on this conundrum?
I'm not in the business, and you're in Italy and I'm in Southern California, but there is a local bike garage, not a co-op, that seems to be the perfect setup. It is called Orange County Bike Garage...

https://orangecountybicycleservicegarage.com/

They are located in a single bay of an industrial complex. They are an authorized Park Tool Learning center and offer classes. The entire operation reminds me of a low key independent auto repair shop. I do almost all my own work, but I have used them on occasion. I've pick up Park Tools from them and they seem to be good people. At one time I think they offered bench space if someone wanted to work on their bike. Their reviews are very good.

Not sure if you want to contact them or if they can give an guidance, but it looks to be a well run, but lower budget, operation.

John
Likes For 70sSanO: