Old 05-12-17, 02:23 PM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I ride 17 miles each way 2 to 3 times a week. I use the off days to carry my clothes and other items to and from work. I also have a trunk bag in which I can carry other odds and ends. I do not have to dress up at my office and everyone there is very supportive of my transportation choices.

I live in central Florida and there is no way that I can bike 17 miles and not be soaking wet, winter or summer. The office has no shower, so I dry off as best as I can and apply deodorant liberally. I have a place to store my bike inside and a place to hang up my riding clothes so that they can dry out.

Sometimes I drive part way, which leaves me a 12 mile bike ride on two trails, which is amazingly easier in time, effort and traffic than my normal commute. I probably should do that more often, but somehow it feels like cheating. I promised my wife that I would not ride in the dark, so during the winter, I struggle with having enough daylight to bike and still get 8 hours of work in. Fortunately, my job is pretty flexible. During the winter, on days that I bike, I work a little less and make up the time on the days that I drive. The fun time is dodging the thunderstorms on the way home during summer afternoons

I say try it and see what happens!