Old 09-21-12, 07:55 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
My idea of simple living is changing again. With my frustrations building regarding working only at a part time job, my mind is ready to dump everything just to move to a place where there are better opportunities. I walked around my living room and bedroom and the amount of things I want to keep is shrinking. In my living room all I saw worth keeping were my toolbox (living rooms are for the important things right) and my Xootr scooter. There are many other things in there that six months ago I just had to keep.

In my bedroom all I want is my computer equipment, some clothing, air cleaner, two exercise devices, bongos, and about four mementos that belonged to my mother. There are a few other practical things in the kitchen but wow, frustration can really make a person prioritize in life. I have never, ever, been this way before.

I have no exact words for the way I feel about this. Have I reached my own personal realization that I really don't need things, or has my situation just made me select the things I feel are useful to me? Even some of the useful things could be jettisoned if the need arose. It's as if I'm half way to the point of not needing possessions. I want to reach that point in my psyche where I have no attachments.

I knew a lady who had no attachments. She was a Catholic Nun that grew up with my mother. That is how I knew her. People would give her gifts of all kinds. If she saw that somebody liked anything she had in her little apartment she would try to give it to them.

As long as I had some clothes, a way to get around, some money for rent and food I know I could abandon everything else and live securely, but would that be enough? I've come close to doing this before when Hurricane Katrina forced me to evacuate New Orleans. The differences are that back then I had a lot of money in the bank and this time the paring down is voluntary.
I really feel for you. It sounds like you're in a tough situation and getting frustrated. I've been there myself a few times, so I know it's really hard for you right now. Just remember that this too shall pass, and soon you'll look back at this as a "character building" time. My thoughts are with you!

"Think Outside the Cage"