Old 11-27-20, 07:07 AM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I started using dry lube and there's a very noticeable difference with the reduced amount of black mystery crud on my drive train! It took a couple of cleanings/relubes to get it to this point. I guess it takes some time for the new dry lube to fully displace the old stuff deep in the chain. My chain maintenance has gone
Spray degreaser (I use Orange Clean) on drive train and let sit a while. Spray more on and scrub the chain and drive train with brushes/rags/chain cleaner tool. Wash the drive train with hot soapy water, wipe dry and let it then air dry completely, re-lube with wet chain lube and wipe off excess oil.
to:
Spray degreaser on a rag and wipe the chain while pedaling backwards. Wipe with clean rag, add dry lube to each chain roller top and bottom and let sit for a while. Wipe off excess with a clean rag. Add dry lube in between cleanings and wipe off excess.

Not a perfect solution but my point is that there's a noticeable decrease in the black greasy crud buildup on the drivetrain between cleanings using dry lube in my experience. For some reason it bugs me to "hear" my drivetrain as I pedal, hence my quest to make my life easier by finding easier/better ways to maintain a quiet ride.