Old 01-12-23, 05:31 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts
My blind, mostly deaf bike shop friend….

He strikes again! Calls me up, says he was doing some cleaning and next time I'm in rural Oregon, stop by say hi.

I know he likes his crisp German wines, so grab a nice Kabinet and head his way.

Not sure if he is open for biz or taking on new repairs at this point, but I sat there chatting with him as he installed a hydraulic disc brake set all by feel.

He hands me a box. Says $150. Full of goodies, some I can use on vintage projects, some I will sell to pay for my hobby.

Once again, he didn't disappoint. Once again I felt obligated to give him more money.

I wanted to pay him more but he wouldn't hear of it. My plan was to put a couple of bills into his til, but I know the loud "DING" when opened would give me away.

His good friend Jack came in to see him. He is also going deaf but his eyesight is great. I wrote a note of my intentions, but he read the thing out loud (damn him).

Finally, with Jack ringing me up for some campy hub oil plug springs, I put my finger to my lips in the international "SHHHH!!!" symbol and while the register was open, I personally lifted the spring in the tray and tossed in more $$.

Honestly, a lot of trading stock. I’m happiest about the skewer, the chains and the cables. No more filing down derailleur cable to fit our lil campy shifters.

Deltas. Another set. But this time w/o the 3.5 mm Allen wrench. Waaaah! (Like the guy who recently won the lottery when asked how he felt, replied….”great, now I have to pay taxes”

8 speed in the box. I suspect the brifter/shifters from our last visit pair with these. What am I to do with one record brift lever?? Dunno. Pignoni? Pine cone?

Specialized hubs?!?!? I did mention he was blind.

Last edited by Robvolz; 01-12-23 at 06:19 PM.