Old 11-14-23, 05:09 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
We are all survivors ;-)

A code orange had been declared. Which is manageable in theory; but, of course, orange can turn into red at any time during the day. Then it's more walking then cycling, or much better: staying home!

The gusts were not constant, rather sporadic (at least when I had to cycle through it), the wind itself was strong but manageable, and the wind was blowing in the right direction too. Let's just say I got off cheap this time.
That’s good!
In my younger days, it retrospect, I have been somewhat cavalier and found myself more exposed to elements than I should have allowed.
When my commuting was about 35 miles per day, mostly using roads where some cars always drove far beyond the 40MPH speed limit. On gusty windy days, riding used to be quite challenging though it didn’t seem so at that point… age of very strong legs and good lung capacity and all that.
The worst episode: Not only the wind gusts but sudden heavy downpour of rain combined with lightening!
I should have either waited an hour or longer or called my wife to pick me up but didn’t. On my way home, there was enough rain water that I was riding in about 1-1.5 inch of standing water in this road when the lightening hit an electric pole only about 10 yard from me. The sound was quite startling and I instinctively looked up at the pole, the ceramic insulator had become so hot that it was glowing bright white. It shattered and fell on the ground where there was plenty of standing water and couldn’t see anything under water. But when that ceramic insulator fragment hit the ground, for a moment all water instantaneously evaporated and I could see green blades of grass!
All of it seemed to last only an instant but then after seeing green grass, I could see absolutely nothing for what seemed like several minutes… I’m sure my sense of time was thoroughly distorted. I had to get off the bike as a blind man but in few minutes I could begin to see.
Not an experience I’ll care to replicate but suffice it to say, commuting on bicycle resumed the next day.
Likes For Alan K: