Old 12-11-17, 03:45 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Thanks for the rephrasing @pvillemasher. I guess that's it, but I have a really, really hard time understanding what making spec has to do with quality. I mean, we all understand that both an A grade and a B grade are passing grades (i.e. grades that meet spec) in elementary school, and we understand an A is a better grade (i.e. higher quality). I dunno what's going on with some people, but there's a serious rational disconnect going on if they cannot get their heads around the concept of different grades of quality.

Regarding knowing stuff about CF manufacturing, watch the video and listen to the expert assessment. He definitely knows more about it than you do...unless you've been holding out on us?
He might know more about it than I do. He might be selling something, too. I don't have any reason to trust or distrust him.

Regarding higher grades of quality: I think we all understand what you are saying, we just don't think the different grades matter if they have no effect on the use of the finished product. A polished turd is still a turd.

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Framing it like that you wrote the conclusion too. Now lets try an other perspective.

Imagine we had two cars. Both were the same weight, both provided 200,000 miles of riding pleasure, blindfolded drivers couldn't tell them apart, but one had only 3 out of 5 wheel bolts mounted and the other had 5/5, would 3/5 matter?

Well duh .. Yes! Because the safety margin is much smaller. It might not matter for 99.99% of the time, but that one day you hit the pothole ...

Same goes for the poorly manufactured carbon bike.

I dont know why it was cut up to begin with, but its safe to assume it was in fact broken.
But I don't know if the stuff we see in that video is analogous to 3 out of 5 wheel bolts on a car.