Old 06-05-20, 08:44 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I uses TBT navigation on an 1030 all the time,. I plan on RWGPS. It works very well and the only issue I've ever seen is when a route takes you on the same road twice in different directions, then the device takes a minute to figure out in which direction it's travelling before it can catch up. My friend on an Explore has zero issues as well. The Explore Touring was a model that people had many issues with, seemingly resolved with the Explore,, which is a different unit.

My Edge 1030 has 16 gig internal memory. I have the OSM maps as provided by Garmin for the entire US, as well as a set of Garmin Topo maps for the NE US in the device. Currently that's a bit over 8 gig as the device states internal memory used is 55%. I have never used or needed the SD card.
That's good to hear. Now I kinda regret getting the eTrex 30 1 or 2 years ago, apparently around the same time the Explore was introduced. I've barely used the eTrex but in most ways the Explore sounds better. I like eTrex AA batteries but OTOH on tours many folks would carry a power bank anyway for the phone so why not just tote a bigger power bank to charge the GPS as well? Another thing about battery life: on tours it's likely there will be stretches with easy navigation where the GPS isn't needed so one can turn it off...whereas with the fitness/competition models I suppose riders would want to have the GPS on throughout the ride.