View Single Post
Old 11-09-20, 07:52 PM
bbpo8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Rules of thumb for older bikes

I've gotten into old bicycles the last few months. From reading in Bike Forums and elsewhere, I developed some Rules of Thumb for identifying and assessing vintage bikes. Please correct these and add any others you can think of.

Signs of an earlier (pre-1987) bike:
- Quill stem
- Shifters on the down tube
- Non-aero brake levers (the brake cables go over the handlebars)
(Based on the Eroica guidelines)

Signs of an inexpensive model:
- Kickstand
- Shift levers on the stem
- Plastic handles on the shift levers (not always the case*)
-Safety brake levers*
-Stamped dropouts*
-Steel rims*
-Cottered crank* (some good quality bikes into the 60s had cottered cranks** )
( * = from Markeologist , ** = from 3alarmer)

Steel bikes with Chromoly, Reynolds 531 tubing or better are recommended for long rides and serious cyclists.
Bikes with lesser quality tubing (high tensile steel) are fine for less intense riding, like around town. Some quality touring bikes are made with tubing like that drawn from Hi Ten**)

Bikes advertised with minimal description: stolen or have owners who aren't knowledgeable. "Red bike. Rides like a dream."

Bikes advertised with a long list of specifications belong to fanatics. Extra points for a history of the bike. More points when you can tell it pains the owner to part with the bike.

Bikes offered at a very low price: stolen bike, bike with a broken or dented frame, a spouse selling the bike of an ex-.

Bikes advertised without mentioning their size: Aggh!

Fat tubes = carbon or aluminum frame

Bike with the seat way higher than the handlebars: racing bike. For the young and athletic only.

Relaxed geometrry, endurance bikes: for the vast majority of cyclists.

Upright posture, hybrids: for the vast majority of the population

Bike with a rack. Uncool but useful.

Vintage bike: 1) Old and interesting 2) Old and overpriced

Someone who talks about his "stable of bikes", his "Bike mancave", or "N+1" = hoarder

SurferRosa: "A nicely painted and fully lugged chromoly (or better) road bike in my size might be worth a second look. My eyes immediately go to the presence of forged dropouts, an on-frame rear derailleur hanger, and then toward the details."

ADDED: These are general rules of thumb compiled from posters at Bikeforum and elsewhere.There are always exceptions. The most important rule is go with what makes sense for you.

Have I missed anything? Thanks.

Last edited by bbpo8; 11-10-20 at 02:16 AM. Reason: suggestions from readers
Likes For bbpo8: