cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by markwebb
What I marvel at with a slight chuckle are the ridiculously small and odd combinations I see used by some weekend warrier racer wannabes with extra long seat posts that are 4"-6" higher than the bars - man for anything other than trying to achieve an aero position for a time trial that seems just silly and uncomfortable. I'll agree with you that absurbly small frames are not really a god idea.

This continues to be a good thread with good info - it's still for the most part on target as to my original post and folks giving me advice on sizing the stem and other considerations in order to eliminate my cramped feeling up on top and the reasons for it/solutions to the problem.
Thanks to all - and Happy New Year.
I tend to be less critical of what I see on bar drop. Mainly cause a person with a shorter torso than avg (for their size) and longer arms will likely be using a greater drop (thatz me). Why? Cause even a longer stem doesn't rightlly compensate for the positional problem a long reach causes. Even with a significant deep elbow bend, and a 4" drop, my torso ends up in a fairly upright position. If I went to a 2" drop or (dog's blood) a level bar, I'd be virtually upright, which would not only be less powerful or efficient, but greatly less comfortable and not rideable for any time/distance. I tried it for a while (whole month) some years back and really hated it.
The stem extension assures a nice open reach and stretch, with a curve to the back. The bardrop aids that and also keeps my torso angle at a good combination of power and comfort. With not undue pedaling effort, and hands on the bartops, the 4" drop assures my upper body weight is countered by the pedaling force and I feel a very light weight on the bar tops. With a 'higher' bar position, and under stronger pedal loads I'd actually have to pull lightly on the bars to keep the body from lifting and straightening - not a good thing.
The drop works for me. For someone with a longer torso and less long arms, also using a similar length stem, a higher bar position might work best for them.

BTW - I don;t think I'd use or recommend using the old "bar obstructs the front hub view" method on any setup that isn't traditional frame sizing and adjustable quill stem. Lotza reasons... But in a nutshell, outside of the traditional stuff and frame sizing, with the newer frame sizing and stuff you can still get to this 'convention' and have the body angle and reach be completely out of wack.