Old 02-08-24, 04:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4533 Post(s)
Liked 6,439 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
The 'problem' is that both upper and lower cups fit rather easily into the headtube of this '72 Holdsworth Pro. They only become snug with ~1 to 1.5mm remaining and could be pressed in by hand the remaining distance with little effort. I checked with a new headset and new fits even more loosely. The bottom race was pressed on to the fork crown by bike shop so I intend to proceed with the assembly (after I source caged bearings), but my query to the group is:

1. Should I build as normal, test ride and if normal = forget-about-it?
2. Build it and substitute a thread lock product instead of grease?
3. Something else?

This is a rough build to ride and verify the frameset straightness, characteristics, etc. But the headset issue must be decided. Might be a keeper and worth re-doing paint & decals if all goes well.
Pics show the small distance left after lightly putting into place.

Thanks in advance for all opinions.
I would get it setup to be tight and still use a press to fully seat it so it has zero wiggle room.