View Single Post
Old 11-30-14, 05:57 PM
EdwardNJ203

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will 10 Speed become obsolete? How soon?

I just bought my first tri bike, I am a swimmer not a biker :-) so please bare with me. When choosing and buying my first bike many factors came into consideration, most of them related to fitting and having a reliable bike shop available in the area, of course price was also a determinant factor.

I chose Cervelo, the P2 appeared to fit the bill, however I knew Cervelo had two frames on 2014, my concern was to get the newer frame, and I was happy to get the one with the Dura Ace shifter, now I realized that Cervelo also had a 11 speed model with the new frame and I ended up getting the one with the Shimano 10 Speed components.

My question is how fast the 10 speed will become obsolete in terms of availability of higher end parts ( for 105 and up)?
Are the newer aero wheels backward compatible? Is there any way I could get a pair that will work with a 11 speed drive train (assuming I will upgrade to 11 speed in the next 5 years). I am just a little annoyed, I thought that I would be future proof buying a Cervelo and I neglected the 11 speed upgrade, I thought they were just running parallel, I did not know 11 was actually replacing 10.

Thanks!
Edward