View Single Post
Old 05-18-22, 11:37 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4830 Post(s)
Liked 3,951 Times in 2,569 Posts
Originally Posted by chune
If I used a dura ace 7400 groupset with a modern 11-34 9-speed cassette, 52/39 cranks, on a Miyata 310 with those wheels/tires running tubes would that be considered "doing it right"?

If anyone has had the pleasure of mounting Challenge's "hand made tubeless tubulars" you will understand my reluctance to pop the bead off. They essentially ship you a flat piece of rubber and make you to finish the last part of the manufacturing process. Who ever named that company has a really good sense of humor.
I tried the pre-tubeless version. OMG hard to seat that bead properly. Blew one off after spending ridiculous time getting it right. A couple of weeks later I blew both latex tubes in about a 5 mile stretch - at the junction of the tube proper and the 8" valve portion. Took 'em all off and just considered that venture a waste of a couple of presidents because there was no way I was going to trust those tires on a mountain descent - the whole reason I bought them.

By contrast, the Vittoria Open Corsa/Pave/G+ (haven't used many G2.0s yet) tires are just about as flat, mount easily and run trouble free