MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I was following a friend down Topanga Canyon to the beach and I kept smelling burning rubber. This is a descent with high speeds and twisty turns, rock walls and, of course, cars. At the bottom he notices his front tire is rubbing on the fork, this is the source of the burning rubber smell. I can't see and don't have reading glasses with me but I try to straighten it up with my spoke wrench. I try to get another friend to look at it but everyone is in a hurry to go as always so we roar off down Pacific Coast Hwy and a few miles later my friend stops and the tire is rubbing again.

This time I see the huge crack in the hub (Hed, I think) and a spoke is puling through. He calls his wife for pick up and I feel super guilty for trying to true the wheel which was unsafe. I'm really happy he didn't crash but this was sooo dangerous and I probably should have insisted we have someone else look at it the first stop.
Yikes, but who's looking for a cracked hub?

I remember that road from a couple of visits to LA as a college student. Friend's brother had a house up near the top. So much sublime and ridiculous in that area.