Old 06-17-21, 02:01 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Yep. I'll bet that, performance-wise, those Speedvagens would give up very little to their carbon fiber counterparts -- and they will be much prettier.

Oh, and if a steel bike is crashed or accidentally tips over in a garage, we won't have to endure the "Does this crack look serious?" thread.
Yep, I was pleasantly surprised, I knew what I was getting into when I bought my SV and flew to Portland for the fitting with Sasha. I figured that the geometry would be much more aggressive since I was going from a Trek Domane to the SV. I did upgrade with the Enve made carbon seat tube, but expected a much harsher ride. In fact the SV is easily as comfortable as the Domane was even with the more aggressive geo. Pre Covid I did a ride from Mexicali Mexico to San Felipe, 122 miles, basically flat. I only stopped once for a quick nature break since we had someone driving with us with extra water and such. In the end I felt as good after 122 miles as I did after 10. Maybe it's the fitting and combo of how they bend the seat stays and such but dang it's pretty darn comfy!

Of course, to point #2... I've dropped the bike in the garage a time or two, and while I no longer suffer panic attacks about cracking carbon, I sure to come close to fainting when I pick it up and check the paint lol!