Old 06-14-12, 01:27 PM
Bicycler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
broken stem... help

Hi everybody

today i was attempting to install my new handlebar and while 'over tightening' :not amused: the stem front screws i cracked 1 of the 4 sides in the stem

i own a Scott Sportster P3 2010 (Hybrid)
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...r+P3&Type=bike

apparently i should take note of this part :
1 1/8" semi-ntegrated Ritchey OE Logic Zero

now at this site which Stem would you suggest me ? (i need a RED stem between 8 and 10 cm long) (red cos i got a red handlebar)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/stems/

from another forum i found this information :

===============
Fitting a stem is fairly straight forward if you know what you are doing. There are a few potential pitfalls.

Assuming it follows the Ahead standard and is not a quill stem....

1) Steerer diameter (the tube attached to the fork) is usually either 1" or 1.125" (the latter is more common nowadays)
2) Bar clamp diameter MUST match with the diameter of the bar midsection. The most common sizes are the ISO standard 25.4mm (1"), the Italian 26mm or the newer "oversize" 31.7/31.8mm (1.25") but there are others. You might think that 25.4 and 26mm are close, but they are not close enough to use the same clamp.

Both these dimensions MUST be known before you choose a stem.

3) Stem length must be matched to the position in which you can ride. This is not necessarily the position in which you want to ride. If you don't have a feel for this then you are best off going to a bike shop or someone who knows how you should sit on the bike to get help. No one on this forum can help you with this because we can't see you. You are right in assuming that longer means more stretched out.

4) When installing a stem, the top bolt must be tightened first (only tight enough to ensure the headset is not allowed to move), THEN the clamping bolts can be tightened around the steerer.

===============

with the Stem i have, which informations are the ones i need to get another one ? ( i know the 31.8 part and the stem length, what about the 'steerer' ?

or shall i go to the bike shop and ask for help ?
i know there will be limited stems choice and expensive job.

thanks in advance