View Single Post
Old 03-26-22, 07:35 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
A decade ago when I rode into Waterton Park, I asked the staff at the entrance what to do if I was on my bike and saw a bear. They said pull in tightly behind the car in front of me and stay near that car.

On my way out of the park, there was no car immediately in front of me. I saw up ahead a couple cars were stopped in the middle of the road, I stopped where I was. And then I saw what they were looking at. I am not sure but I think it was a black bear. My camera had a strong zoom so I was much further away than it looks like from this photo. And I had no desire to get closer.

I hung a bear bell from my top tube for when I was quietly riding down roads, but the roads were too smooth, the bell stayed silent almost all the time.

A couple months after I came home from my trip, I read that someone in Glacier had been killed by a bear. His camera was nearby. They saw a photo on the camera of a bear at distance. Next photo, the bear was closer. And the next photo even closer. The bear was really close in the last photo.