mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Grizzlies definitely give me pause...

Black bears seem common on rides I've done through BC. Most often it seems like they are on the road ahead and either someone lets me know or one has enough room. So it looks more like this and making enough noise causes them to scamper off.

However, on one or two occasions they've been much more intent on foraging and don't leave, e.g. the bear below was on the Cassiar and briefly looked up when I passed on the highway but then quickly went back to eating.

I don't have it confirmed, but believe there was a night when a bear got into my pannier at a campground. I was cycling from Haines across the coastal range to Haines Junction and staying at a YT provincial campground. I had seen multiple bears the day before and stayed at the campground. Unlike other campgrounds there weren't bear boxes - though there were bear-proof metal trash containers. I considered whether to put my panniers in one of the trash cans underneath the trash bag but in the end decided not to because with my luck that would happen to be the time both trash and my panniers were thrown away...

I recorded the following in my journal the next day, "Something got into my food pannier at the campground, perhaps a bear or...? Zipper was broken, interesting claw marks on an apple and the pannier strewn open with jar of peanut butter on the ground. Fortunately nothing else, and I'd been careful to avoid food in the tent and park the bike 25ft away. My panniers weren't too tightly packed so was able to shift stuff around to keep everything from falling out."

Four years before that I cycled down the Alaska Highway and remember news later that summer that someone was killed by a bear at a campground near Laird Hot Springs. It caught my attention because I had stayed at that same campground two months prior and had also seen multiple bears in the area.