View Single Post
Old 04-26-22, 07:47 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder!

IMLTH artistic opinion, not pretty but VERY functional, especially the part about the care taken to get good weld penetration...

I picked up an early 80's Bertin SSC Reynolds 531SL frame a number of years back. When I finally got around to building it up, upon close inspection I noticed what appeared to be a scratch in the DS dropout. Scraping away some paint, I realized the it was a crack!

I took the frame to Ed Litton to see what he thought about replacing the dropout. While we were discussing the problem, he'd already started grinding a 30° chamfer into the crack. As he started on the inside the crack broke through, probably residual stress. He TIG welded both sides and was all done within 20 minutes including a shot of primer! Not pretty bu functional!

Those Shimano UF dropouts had a reputation for cracking/breaking in the area!

I was being extra vigilant in my inspection... Previously that same week I found a Stronglight crank arm with laminar cracking due to a defective billet.

Also I had a brand new Nitto Pearl stem that when admiring the workmanship when I spotted what looked like a scratch. At 200x it was clearly another crack! The good news is that I contacted Nitto in Japan. They sent me a replacement stem from Japan OVERNIGHT!!! Also a shipping container to return the defective one! Talk about product support and service.

Anyway, nice work on the Centurion repair.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 04-27-22 at 12:18 AM.
Likes For verktyg: