Old 06-07-22, 08:13 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Just picked up a Varia RCT715 Seat Post Mount. I will be making some adapters for it for specific bicycles.

I have already disassembled the mount and I have a few opinions about it. It is bulky, not just big, and its heavier than I expected. The other issue I have is that in my opinion the design was just phoned in by Garmin, They could have easily made it compatible with the old quarter-turn devices. The mounting attachment is significantly smaller that the quarter-turn. I hope they don't make this a standard mount for Varia devices going forward. Lastly the design is overly complicated with two separate angles with each of the included heavy rubber spacers. Since this seems to have been designed by someone just out of design school, personally I think it is one of the worst mounts Garmin has ever built, and my Garmin use dates back to the Edge 205/305 slide in mount. One plus is that this mount appears to be very secure, there is no chance a device will work itself loose as the device doesn't actually twist, the mount does.

Give me a couple of weeks to make sure I can reverse engineer it properly. So far it looks like a RCT715 owner will need to remove 2 screws located on the back side of the mount (closest to the seat post). The screws are M3 x 6 mm and use a T10 Torx bit to remove. The screws are small and easy to lose. I plan on having the RCT715 owner reuse the screws in the new mount. I will try to include a few pictures of the mount disassembled later this week or next.