View Single Post
Old 11-04-20, 01:29 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Entry level bike for pump track

An asphalt pump track has opened near me. It looks like a ton of fun. Mostly I'd like to get my 5 y.o. daughter out there to try it out, and figured it would be fun to have my own bike to mess around with as well. I own several cyclocross bikes and am a former MTB rider, but sold my 29" trail bike a few years ago. I did some BMX riding as a teenager but haven't been on a BMX sized bike in decades.

I have been told that I should get a 26" dirt jump bike for pump track riding. I don't know anything about these and am looking for some assistance in narrowing down choices. When I google dirt jump bikes I see a lot of bikes built for big air (which makes sense) and they have suspension. I'm not sure I really need that, and I'm not planning on doing big dirt jumps, so I'm wondering if there's some other option?

Is 26" the "right" size for a 5'-9" 160lb adult? Do I need front suspension?
Any recommendations on brands, sizes, or what kinds of specifics I should look for? I'd love to spend in the range of $500-$800 on this and would consider buying a used bike, but not sure if that's realistic.

Any help is appreciated.