View Single Post
Old 07-20-21, 08:33 AM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
We were able to take a test ride this morning.
As with my previous solo test ride, there was no chain slip.
So, that continues to make me believe the 3 sprockets on the intermediate shaft needed to be replaced.
Here is the data on the grinding in-line below in red in response to Jccaclimber's questions.

<<As for your grinding noise, it shouldn't be hard to track down, although we need a bit more information.
1. Is it coming from the front of the back or the rear? It seems to be located at the front.
2. Does it happen when both people pedal, when just one pedals, or when coasting? It does not make the grinding noise when coasting or when just the stoker pedals. It only makes the grinding noise when the captain pedals and it constantly makes the grinding noise when the captain pedals, whether or not the stoker also pedals.
3. Does it happen if you are not on the bike, ie with the rear wheel off the ground and you are turning one of the cranks by hand? I have a 2 sided kick stand that makes this very easy for me to test, but a stand, flipping the bike over, or having someone hold it up for a moment would all serve the same purpose. It does not happen with the bike on the stand or up on the 2-sided kickstand.
4. Does it happen in every gear, or just some of them? It happens in every gear.
5. What if you spin the intermediate shaft backward by hand (on the output side), without the rear wheel moving? It's not quiet when I spin the intermediate shaft backward by hand, but it's not a grinding sound.
6. Are all the bearings smooth? This is easier to check in the BBs if the chains (or drive side cranks) are not installed, but removal is not required.
I don't know. How do I check that?