Old 07-23-21, 06:06 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Really, 6,000 miles to get used to it... It took me 1 Km to get used to my E-Assist bicycle with a torque sensor... Why...??? You might ask. Because it was exactly the same riding my E-Assist bike with a torque sensor as riding my regular bike, ( except it felt like I was always riding with a tailwind at my back|)...

As for the no go with the 250 or even the 500 watt motor... I guess you really need a motor bike. NOT a motor bike disguised as a bicycle... JMO
Be careful what you wish for. You are proposing to legislate to keep bicycles in the dark ages for practical utility use. In other words, collecting dust in most garages while the car remains king.

Four years ago I made a prediction and was laughed out of a forum. I predicted that e bikes would outsell regular bikes in the LBS two to one within 10 years. I was off by a factor of two. My new prediction is that the EU standard will fall and the EU standard will rise to 750 watts, then to 1,000 to 1,500 watts. The speed limit will rise to 40 kph and stay put. I also predict that the biggest sellers in EU will be front loading box cargo bikes. The SUV's of the biking world.

Why? Because it takes power to move weight and the grid and the economy cannot support a big influx of electric cars. 250 watts will not haul around 400-500lb. That takes a bare minimum of 750 watts even to go the measly 15mph and hills, forget it. Torque sensing? Yeah right just imagine a cargo with two kids and groceries getting to the top of a big hill. The parent is now whipped with two fresh toddlers and groceries to put away. Come on, just so you can protect your exercise machine? No, 5% of the biking will be for the purpose of exercise.

Stop and take a look where the politicians and zealots are taking us with energy.. My prediction is a natural solution/evolution.

My next touring dirt bicycle is apt to be a front loading cargo with a 200 mile range if the western bike zealots don't get to keep things to themselves.
I will make another prediction. You cannot put that many bikes onto the present infrastructure. New and better infrastructure will appear and different rules will pop up to deal with the volume. . .