Old 02-22-21, 05:18 PM
seinberg 

Bikes: Checkpoint SL7, Tarmac SL7, Trek Top Fuel, Trek Farley, Priority 600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Checkpoint “pulling” into turns

Hi all — I recently got a Checkpoint SL7 that I really love. I’m coming to it from doing either exclusively road (where I run 28s on a Roubaix) or mountain biking (Top Fuel and Farley). I’ve never ridden a gravel bike for any extended period, and today I took it for ~25 miles and noticed two things that may or may not be related.

1) when I lean to turn, the bike “pulls” in the direction I’m going. Unless I counter-steer, the bike’s handlebars would go too far and I’d wreck. It was disorienting the first handful of times, but I’m getting the hang of it. Is this a characteristic of the bike/gravel bikes in general, or is this something that indicates an issue? I noticed this once on my Top Fuel when tire pressure was low, but otherwise have never experienced this before.

2) aggressively engaging the front brake vibrates the whole front fork/handlebars — so much so that my Garmin watch thought it detected an incident and texted my wife this morning on my commute I’d installed a PDW front fender last night, but it’s thru-axle so I can’t imagine I didn’t seat it properly or something — all seems well and the wheel is on tight enough.

Insights appreciated!

Cheers!