Old 10-07-21, 12:24 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
I wouldn't go around the block with any defaileurs again. LOL. One Ozzie guy on CGOAB bought a 600E alu girls bike with a coaster Nexus 7i, in Denmark. He then went 12,330 miles across Europe and the M.E. to Baku, Toronto to Vancouver, then double crossed Australia S to N then to the south again. Only a couple days rest between, fly over then start riding.

I just went to a one man welding shop here and did 4 different things. He does anything, up to using I beams for buildings.
Two old 1/16" tubes together, to attach shifters to the TT. Perfect joint with NO deforming.
A 3/4" x 4.5 mm piece to the end of the dropout.
A metal mart pipes made into a stem, .083 chromo to 1/8" thick plain steel tubes.
All very well welded and completely bonded where the joint was. He used a wire feed welder to heat up 1/16" rods, looks like a tig weld.
I have deconstructed a brazed joint on another DIY stem. You can sand it all off an not know it was ever joined there. It is almost as strong, but not fused together like a weld is.

WAY better job than what was previously done by the owner of a Midas Muffler shop. LOL.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-07-21 at 10:58 AM.