Old 03-11-22, 02:38 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'd never heard of autophagy before. Of course we all know it happens, and now it has a name! Autophagy refers to the body's disposing of dead cells. Nothing's wasted, after all. Most cells die naturally. All the cells in our bodies are replaced every 7-10 years like it or not. The dead guys get eaten. It probably is possible to intentionally kill cells in our bodies, like muscle cells. Muscle cells die anyway as we age, it's a natural process, sarcopenia, and there's nothing to be done about it. I work hard to culture my remaining muscle cells. They don't do well if they're worked hard and not fed afterwards.

Unlike muscle cells, I don't think one can kill a fat cell, nor do they die as we age. We have about the same number of fat cells in our bodies from childhood to death: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...t-in-adulthood
This is why it's so sad to see overfed, fat children. Their parents are building a life of disappointing health for them.

These two things are why it's so easy to get fat and weak as we age. I don't see anything positive in trying to kill our body's cells. I've seen enough people die of organ failure. Cells die soon enough on their own. Nor can or should we do anything about the natural process of disposing of the dead.
Yoshiniro Oshumi got the 2016 Nobel Prize in Science/medicine for identifying the autophagy. Not an expert here but have been reading about it over the last years. Autophagy is actually quite a broad term and be itemized in so many more categories. When the cell recycles cellular components/debris it can target specific things that would make the most complex recycling centers envious:
Mitophagy: recycling of mitochondria(bike or cardio a lot? this happens a lot)
aggregophagy: recycling of protein aggregates
ferritinophagy: recycling a iron wastes
crinophagy: recycling hormonal wastes
pexophagy: recycling of peroxisomes(where long chained fatty acids are processed either to energy or to membranes)
xenophagy: recycling of bacteria/viruses(fasting, biking=skipped bad case of covid)
ribophagy: recycling of ribosomes
ERphagy or reticulophagy: recycling of endoplasmic reticulum
lipophagy: recycling of lipids/fats
nucleophagy: recycling of discarded damaged DNA
there likely are more categories that I don't know of, but I find stuff fascinating.