View Single Post
Old 04-08-22, 06:43 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by kstephens
Currently I need work on putting on the miles for now - drop some more weight, and likely start to incorporate some yoga and more stretching.
regular riding is the key for me, and along with it, regular stretching. I find no matter the length of riding, the being regular thing is the key thing. I commute a lot by bike specifically for this reason, also is just good for the head part too, but I really notice how regular riding is the kicker.
Stretching imo should be gradual and not to overdo it, but like riding, if you can incorporate it into a routine, then it becomes easy and being regular, really helps you identify and listen to your body and it makes a huge difference as we get older (most of us biking internet touring forum folks are old geezers)

re bars and comfort
the Jones bars I have were kicking aroiund in the garage for years, until last summer I decided the only way to know if I would like them is to live with them on a bike regularly, so I stuck them onto my commuter bike. They are the riser model, and on that bike they are a bit higher than the seat ( old bike with a quill stem so I can actually change height easily) or levelish.
After living with them all last spring until fall, I found I really like them, and put them on my fatbike for the winter just because I like them so much.

I was really surprised how much I like the upright riding position, still love dropbar setups I have, but the jones setup I have (stem, frame, riser, all those details) is fun to ride. When things are fun, we do them more.

bottom line, if having higher or different types of bars makes you ride more, thats the ticket, especially if you will greatly benefit from the regular exercise\mental health aspect of regular riding.

I work with older people, and my parents are older, and thats the most important thing in life, is to keep moving--start out slowly, and it can be small amounts, but regularly being active is the most important thing in life, in my opinion of course.
At least its something we can control, other stuff can be out of our hands medically etc, but walking a dog, riding a bike regularly, whatever is going to be always positive.

all the best with getting the bike more enjoyable.
Likes For djb: