View Single Post
Old 02-10-23, 01:26 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
OK, no one is perking up and discussing about the new Treks or replying to the OP. So I'm chiming in here! Actually when I came back onto the forums (today ), rather surprised that no one has yet talked about the change to the Trek DS's yet.

Well hybridbkrdr, this is only my opinion...so don't take offense or anything as fact on what I say, it's discussion only.

Looks like both the U.S. and Canadian versions of the DS Gen 5 are same, just the difference in amounts due to our currency differences.

I happen to really like the DS 1 Mercury color. At close up, the color seems rather rich looking and not just some cheaply painted bike. This is really the only thing I like about the DS 1 over the 2.

For only $100 U.S. dollars, or $150 Canadian more, the DS 2 has a number of things on it that I feel worth the bit more money.

Lighter alum fork, although, steel is supposed to handle vibration better, the DS 1 is not listing it as chromoly steel, guessing Hi ten steel? One of several reasons the DS1 is a heavier bike.

The seat post, handlebars, stem are alum on the DS 2 while steel on the DS 1. The DS 1 stem has 2 bolts holding onto the handlebar, where as the DS2 has a stronger 4 bolts to hold onto the handlebar. Take away is possible less creaking, possibly stronger depending how a rider pulls on the handlebars.

I've ridden in the past bikes that had the touring version of the 9 speed Altus/Acera and Alivio derailleur. I really couldn't tell the difference between them. The Alivio M4000 series is made to be a bit more tucked in but still shifts similar. The difference I had seen was after installing the M4000 9 speed shifter. It was a more satisfying click or shift than the lesser expensive ones had. I would prefer these over the 8 speed version of the Altus/Tourney combo for a bit smoother shifting.

I will just let it out there, I much prefer hydraulic brakes. Is it needed on a hybrid, not really, I've gotten used to them, know how to service and feel they make the bike that much more substantial. Heck, some bikes with cable, may need to make sure the brake housing is compression less for decent performance. Why worry about it and just spend a bit more for hydraulic. Although, this would be more difficult argument if Trek had the Tektro MD550's instead of the 310's this bike has. The 550's like the TRP version is a good cable brake.

All in all, I believe the DS 1 is over priced for what consumers get. The next level up seems to be a better bang for the buck.

all just an opinion

Last edited by travbikeman; 02-10-23 at 02:16 PM.