View Single Post
Old 10-16-09, 10:38 AM
Sgt C USMC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some Newbie questions

Morning all, I recently picked up a 2005 Scattante CFR Team off of CL. Full Ultegra grouping (6600) including the triple crankset (for less than $600!!) , but some really crappy control surfaces (saddle, wheels, pedals, stem, handlebar) all made by some company called Supergo (Okay the saddle was made by Selle, but man that thing was uncomfortable. I swapped it out for a Specialized Alias.) I don't know much about them , except that they're heavy, uncomfortable, and I keep thinking I'm going to taco the wheel at any moment (which is not a reassuring feeling when you're flying down the mountains of Julian)

Now, here's the thing . I want to upgrade, but not so much that the frame becomes the weakpoint in the chain. (I've already got a Kestrel SL 900 /SRAM red (maybe Campy if the performance increases and weight decreases outweigh the cost increase) setup I'm building up, and that'll get high class CF wheels and a full CF headset and pedals.) so I don't need to really strip weight , I just want something that will ride smoothly, and get me good bang for my buck so I can ride with my wife. The Kestrel will be for races and group rides.

So here's what I'm considering - and I don't know enough about the alternatives to get outside of the mainstream manufacturers

Headset: Easton EC90 TKO round handlebars with Easton EC90 stem (total package less than $150 online!!)
Pedals: Time RXS
Seat Post: Easton EC70 CNT
And I MIGHT change the forks out for a set of Easton EC90s.
Wheels: (Here's the dilemma) Mavic Krysium Equipes, Fulcrum racings 5s, or Easton EA70 Sls. All of these can be had for around $500 and change. (I also have pro I know who's willing to part with a pair of EA90 Aeros for 500 with a dura-ace cassette that he used for training last season, but I'm not so sure about buying second hand wheels)

So what do you think ? What would you recommend ? Also , does anyone know what the 2005 CFR BB is ? I would think it's Shimano , but without removing the crankset, I wouldn't know for sure.