View Single Post
Old 06-26-21, 07:43 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
I've talked with a few people and read a number of posts on Zwift Power and how it calculates power and speed and the accuracy compared to riding for real. In some cases I've read there can be up to a 15% difference. I have an Elite wheel on trainer and no power meter so I rely on Zwift power to calculate my numbers.

When I ride outside, I have no power meter or bike computer but ride with my phone and run Strava to record my numbers.

The difference between what Zwift says I'm doing and what Strava records is way off. My Zwift numbers are way higher than my real life numbers. Does anyone else notice this? Am I just getting a very inaccurate reading because of my equipment (or lack there of)?
As far as zPower estimation, I've seen people for whom their zPower numbers were off by 400% from the numbers they had when they finally got a power source. I have a powermeter on the road and a Kickr Core trainer for power on Zwift - for me it's not far off. The Zwift speeds get a little high if you're racing in draft events or riding with the pace partners a lot, but when I go on really good pavement my solo speeds aren't that far off between Zwift and real life for similar power.

The Strava estimates aren't great for power - but they're probably closer to reality, especially for uphill segments, than zPower estimate for most trainers.