Old 01-14-23, 05:05 PM
afrowheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
For anyone who comes across this with a similar problem and is interested in possible solutions, in my continuing quest to sort out my tent waterproofing I came across this product from GearAid: https://www.gearaid.com/products/sea...nt-tent-fabric

Judging by the illustrative photographs and video it may well work on the inside of panniers having this problem - and then you would need to apply a different product on the outside. Whether that's worth the money and effort is hard to say. I just had a go at doing something like that with my tent, in far-from-ideal conditions as is often the case on the road - and in the next couple of days I'll find out how effective it was...Right now I have my doubts. But panniers are smaller and the job could be done more cleanly, inside, so might be worth a go before buying new panniers.

Originally Posted by afrowheels
I have some 15 year old Ortliebs, BikePacker Plus I think.

They do not seem to be entirely waterproof any more. There is some kind of inner coating that appears to be coming off which could be responsible. I was wondering what the best way might be to 'renew' that. Perhaps a kind of waterproof spray?

The Ortlieb website just says that it's impossible that their panniers would lose waterproofing