Old 12-21-19, 10:18 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The biggest feature of my year was my heart surgery. I have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and the surgery removed about 1.5 teaspoons of heart muscle where it was messing up the blood flow through the left ventricle. I'm not fixed, but my worst day since has been about like my best day before. Along with the surgery came the trauma of sternotomy, but I was also eager to be more active as soon as permitted. In anticipation of this, I bought a recumbent trike. I started riding it as soon as I went back to work, and for two months. I did not enjoy the trike, until I sold it cleaned up for a little more than I bought it dirty. I was glad to get back on my bike. I kept out of MTB activity a few months longer, until I didn't feel like falling off would really hurt. I still have lesser symptoms and I still get pains in my chest sometimes from the sternotomy - mostly where my ribs hinged when they were spread, not at the incision.

In the later half of the year, my oldest kid has started kindergarten but my twins are not (yet) in daycare, that means I don't take any of them in the morning, which has translated to more riding days, at the same time my ability increased. Until the time change I was often taking a longer route home, pumping up my mileage, putting it over 1000 for the first time in years!

My next bike-relevant project, assuming no further looming disasters, is weight loss.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty: